Current:Home > reviews70,000 Armenians, half of disputed enclave's population, have now fled -TradeGrid
70,000 Armenians, half of disputed enclave's population, have now fled
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-07 01:42:24
LONDON -- At least 75,500 ethnic Armenian refugees have now fled Nagorno-Karabakh, more than half the disputed enclave's population, according to local authorities, as the exodus from the region continues to accelerate.
It is feared the enclave's whole population will likely flee in the coming days, unwilling to remain under Azerbaijan's rule following its successful military offensive last week that defeated the ethnic Armenian separatist authorities and restored Azerbaijan's control after over three decades.
The leader of Nagorno-Karabakh's unrecognized Armenian state, the Republic of Artsakh, on Thursday announced its dissolution, signing a decree that it will "cease to exist" by Jan. 1, 2024.
MORE: Over 50,000 Armenians have now fled from enclave, fearing Azerbaijan
De facto President Samvel Shahramanyan signed the decree declaring that "all state institutions" will be dissolved.
A statement describing the decree said based on the ceasefire agreement last week, Azerbaijan would allow the unhindered travel of all residents, including military personnel who laid down their arms. The local population should make their own decisions about the "possibility of staying (or returning)," the statement said.
The decree marks an end to Armenian control over the enclave, which is internationally recognized as part of Azerbaijan and has been at the center of one of the world's most intractable conflicts for 35 years.
Ethnic Armenians have lived for centuries in Nagorno-Karabakh. The current conflict dates back to the collapse of the Soviet Union, when Armenian separatists declared the republic and tried to break away from Azerbaijan. Armenia and Azerbaijan waged a bloody war over the enclave that saw hundreds of thousands of Azerbaijani civilians driven from the region and ended with the ethnic Armenians in control of most of Nagorno-Karabakh.
Azerbaijan reopened the conflict in 2020, defeating Armenia and forcing it to distance itself from the Karabakh Armenians. Russia brokered a peace agreement and deployed peacekeepers, who remain in Nagorno-Karabakh.
Last week, after blockading the enclave for nine months, Azerbaijan launched a new offensive that defeated the Karabakh Armenian forces in two days. Since Sunday, tens of thousands of ethnic Armenian civilians have left Nagorno-Karabakh after Azerbaijan opened the road out to Armenia.
MORE: Death toll rises in blast that killed dozens of Armenian refugees
Those leaving say they fear life under Azerbaijan will be intolerable and that they will face persecution.
Shortages of food, medicine and fuel have been reported inside the enclave. Those fleeing describe spending 30 hours in traffic jams to leave.
Siranush Sargsyan, a local freelance journalist living in Nagorno-Karabakh, told Reuters it was impossible for ethnic Armenians to remain.
"Of course I'm going to leave, because this place is too small for both of us. If they are here, we have to leave. We don't want to leave, but we don't have [any] other choice," she said.
Azerbaijan charged a former leader of the Karabakh Armenians with terrorism offenses on Thursday after detaining him a day earlier when he tried to leave the enclave with other refugees.
Ruben Vardanyan, a billionaire who made his fortune in Moscow, moved to Nagorno-Karabakh in 2022 and served as the head of its government for several months before stepping down earlier this year. A court in Azerbaijan's capital Baku charged him on Thursday with financing terrorism and creating an illegal armed group, which carries a potential maximum 14-year sentence.
The United States and other Western countries have expressed concern for the ethnic Armenian population. Secretary of State Antony Blinken called Azerbaijan's President Ilham Aliyev this week and urged him to provide international access to the enclave.
veryGood! (7)
Related
- Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
- Court orders white nationalists to pay $2M more for Charlottesville Unite the Right violence
- JoJo Siwa Curses Out Fans After Getting Booed at NYC Pride
- José Raúl Mulino sworn in as Panama’s new president, promises to stop migration through Darien Gap
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- Mistrial declared in Karen Read trial for murder of boyfriend John O'Keefe
- Senator wants Washington Commanders to pay tribute to an old logo that offends many Indigenous
- At least 9 dead, including an entire family, after landslides slam Nepal villages
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- Small businesses could find filing for bankruptcy more difficult as government program expires
Ranking
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- Supreme Court refuses to hear bite mark case
- Emma Chamberlin, Katy Perry and the 'no shirt' fashion trend and why young people love it
- Former Iowa police chief sentenced to 5 years in prison in federal gun case
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- Trump seeks to overturn criminal conviction, citing Supreme Court immunity decision
- Senator wants Washington Commanders to pay tribute to an old logo that offends many Indigenous
- India wins cricket Twenty20 World Cup in exciting final against South Africa
Recommendation
Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
The US will pay Moderna $176 million to develop an mRNA pandemic flu vaccine
Hunter Biden sues Fox News for publishing nude photos, videos of him in 'mock trial' show
Jeffrey Epstein secret transcripts: Victim was asked, Do you know 'you committed a crime?'
Bodycam footage shows high
Hunter Biden sues Fox News for publishing nude photos, videos of him in 'mock trial' show
2 children among 5 killed in small plane crash after New York baseball tournament
Utah State is firing football coach Blake Anderson, 2 other staffers after Title IX review